You will choose a current conversation in the field and develop a white paper on the topic. The paper will be a minimum of 5 pages, single-spaced, 1-inch margins, 12-pt font, minimum 10 current sources (mostly 2000 and beyond, but you may need to refer to some seminal texts from earlier than 2000). The audience for the White Paper is you and your classmates. The purpose is to help you understand the conversation that you are entering as you write your Book Review. In order to write a good book review, you have to have a good understanding of the scholarship that has been written related to that topic. You won't, however, put all of that info into the Book Review. But it should be evident in what you say in the Book Review that you have this knowledge, and you will acknowledge/point to this knowledge when you write the Book Review.
- The first thing you should try to do, is find a question to focus on. Try to make it narrow, as trying to write a White Paper on a very broad area will be very difficult.
Where should you look to gather information:
- Books and journals, of course
- WAC Clearinghouse
- Join a listserv
- Talk to an expert in the field
- Professional Organizations
- Recent and upcoming conferences
White Paper Update You will post updates of your work on the White Paper as we go. Hopefully this will help you get to the finished product (process).