M. Dawson, S. Britt, C. Seiller, G. Lawlor, N. Ballmer,. P.Lopez
- History of Writing Centers: B. Stein
- I'm not sure this is a question that fits into the FAQ mission. However, a question that is relevant, and in fact in circulation now, has to do with how WCs? are situated within the institution. Who owns them? Who administers them? Who staffs them? What are the various missions of different kinds of WCs?? The FAQ could be something like "what are options / alternatives for starting a WC on campus or for growing it or for securing its future?
- How does the writing center reflect the conversations in the larger
writing community? Sean
- As an FAQ, this would be more useful, I think, if you were asking something about the alignment (or lack of) between WC work and the ways writing is taught on campus or in various programs? Or should similar theories of writing instruction inform WCs? and writing programs? That gets even trickier because writing programs account for only part of the writing that studnets do. So how does the theoretical underpinning of the WC align with all the other approaches ot wrting instruction across campus? How can it? No matter how we might talk about WC work in our larger profession, the WC succeeds or not in direct proportion to the ways it addresses / fits with local needs. So how do WCs? "fit" into the complex theoretical mishmash that is writing instruction on a college campus?
- Writing center relationships: students, consultants, teachers, how are these formed? Meredith
- Why would one choose to work in a writing center?
- What is the role of the consultant? Gillian
- What title should the consultant have: consultant, tutor, peer mentor, peer tutor etc. Noelle
- These all seem related. How can you develop a larger FAQ that addresses these kinds of questions as part of the larger answer? The focus here is on consultants or tutors: who are they? what are their roles? How can they relate to / interact with clients? In a way, the larger question here is How do we define the roles and work of consultants.
- Meredith and Noelle have decided to address a specific issue that was mentioned on the CBW listserv. We are planning to give a general overview of Mainstreaming, the models, issues, and a bibliography. This will be linked to the Writing center section and the Basic Writing Section.
- What benefit does the writing center offer to first year and basic writing students? P. Lopez
- Why or why not is a writing center effective? Chelsea