If you are not familiar with IFixIt.com, you should be. For this activity, we will learn about their business, and use their examples to practice our editing skills.
- Read about the program at https://www.ifixit.com/Info.
- Review their points for how to write a good guide at https://www.ifixit.com/Info/Writing_Guides.
- Go to https://www.ifixit.com/Contribute?flagFilter=GUIDE_INCORRECT_TEXT and choose a guide that you want to work on. Each student must choose a different guide. There are plenty to choose from so it should not be a problem.
- Look at the section titled "Confusing Text" for the guide you choose. For this assignment, we will only work on "Confusing Text."
- Your assignment is to rewrite at least two steps from the guide so that the text is less confusing.
- Do you write in the actual screen for the guide. After you finish the assignment, if you would like to contribute your text, just ask me and I'll recommend whether you should contribute your work or not.
- Copy the 2 steps as they are listed in the guide. Following that, put your version of the text as you would rewrite it.
This does not have to be written as a formal memo/report. We are only focusing on practicing our revising skills. So what you would turn in might look like this:
- Name of guide your worked on
- Step 1 (or 3 or 10 or ?) Original text
- Step 1 (or 3 or 10 or ?) Rewritten text
- Step 16 Original text
- Step 16 Rewritten text