Statistics play a role in all research in some way. The purpose of this assignment is to make you aware of some of the basics of statistics. You do not have to master any of this, or get any of it right when you try some of the exercises. If you do the work you will get full credit, no matter how right or wrong you think your answers are. For your primary research projects you will be doing minimal use of statistics, so how you do on these activities is no indication of how well you will do on your project. Remember, this is just to make you aware/raise your awareness of this part of research.
- Read the handout on "Research Methods and Statistics" - mean, median, mode.
- Watch this video. It is a good example of how to present data. http://ed.ted.com/lessons/david-mccandless-the-beauty-of-data-visualization
- Watch this video which shows an example of how to figure mean, median, mode.
- Choose what you want to watch from this page. This shows how to use Excel and SPSS to present data. Complete the exercises in at least one of the videos (or in other words, copy what you are being shown/told to do rather than just watching). Khan Academy Introduction to Statistics http://www.youtube.com/user/RStatsInstitute/videos
- This is an online event that is free, and it is up to you whether you want to participate. I'm just sharing it as fyi. https://www.eventbrite.com/e/free-nvivo-brown-bag-webinar-mixed-methods-research-analyzing-survey-data-with-nvivo-registration-10616254503
- Turn in the graphs/charts you created and post comments about questions/problems, etc.