Tips for using Tables Charts Graphs
These elements should never take the place of text. Rather they are meant to add extra information to help readers better understand the information.
- These elements should always follow the in-text reference.
- Place titles and captions at the top, and explanatory notes at the bottom.
- Number Tables and Figures unless you only have a few of these elements.
- Always give source info just as you would for citations within the text of your document.
- Include only one major idea in each element.
- Provide raw data in tables when you have many elements to present. A graph or chart can accompany the table as well.