This is an opportunity for you to try out new technology that may be helpful to your writing process. The first stage of writing is generally called drafting. This is the stage when you have gathered information and you are ready to sit down at the computer and begin to write your text. Voice-to-Text is an option for doing this step that I believe will
- Save time
- Help make ideas clearer in your writing
It is recommended that you use the Voice-to-Text application for any major writing assignment (for example, not for short daily work, but for reports, projects, chapters, etc.)
For 5372 class, use the Voice-to-Text app for the first draft of your White Paper, and the first draft of you Book Review.
Follow these steps:
- Identify a Voice-to-Text app that you can use. Many are freely available so search your app store for options. (Google Voice is one option available on the internet.)
- Once you are ready to begin writing your text, instead of composing on the computer (or on your phone, ipad, etc.) use the voice-to-text app and speak what you would write. This does not mean that you speak what you are thinking about writing about. Speak what you would be typing if you were writing the paper using a word processor. (You may have to record more than more message since the word limit may not be enough for all that you have to say.)
- The voice-to-text app will then transcribe the voice text into written text. It probably won't be perfect, but it should be transcribed well enough that you can read and understand the major ideas.
- Now transfer the transcribed text into a word document and continue to write building on the text that you already have on the page.
- Email to Dr. Garza a copy of the transcription that was created from the voice messages you produce. Depending on the type of app you are using, how you will do this may vary.
- Once you have finished writing your paper, email a copy of all drafts of the paper to Dr. Garza.
- The final step is to complete a short survey that Dr. Garza will email to you. It should only take about 10 minutes to complete.
- For each voice to text transcript sent to Dr. Garza - up to 10 points
- For drafts and final copy of paper sent to Dr. Garza - up to 10 points
- For completing survey - up to 10 points.
If you do not have access to this type of app, or feel that you cannot get it to work, speak with me and I will work with you to find a way for you to receive the credit.