General Description of Project
The subject of the project will be a web site that you choose to analyze. The web site must be one that is used for a real purpose by a real audience. Don't choose a web site for a large, successful entity, as the purpose of the project is to work on making the site better. I had a student who chose a website for a large university, and it was hard to complete the project because the site already worked very well. You may know someone who has a small business/group and they need their website to work much better. This might be a friend, colleague, family member, etc. If you can't think of something I can help you find a project as I often hear from folks needing help. There are many small businesses, not-for-profit organizations that always need help. If you know of a group that has no website, your project can be to develop a site for them, but we will have to work together to tweak the steps a bit. Very doable, but I would recommend that you not take on a new site unless you are very comfortable with technology. You don't have to know the group that has the website. But I do encourage students to contact organizations to see if they would like to work with you. So the project basically looks like this:
- Choose a website to work on
- Analyze the website
- Develop recommendations to improve the site
- Write recommendation report in traditional doc format
- Create a digital/web text version of your recommendation report.
We will use the course texts to do the analysis of the website.
Steps to Follow
- Choose a website to work on.
- Report in Discussion Forum what website you chose and why you chose the site.
- Choose two elements from each chapter (4 total) of the Kilian and Redish texts and analyze your site. (This will be repeated several times.)
- Report on the analysis in Discussion Forum. (Repeat)
- Use the information you have gathered to write a Recommendation Report (traditional doc format) on what changes need to be made to the website.
- Create an informational web text to present the information from the recommendation report.