Let's get back to Dr. Rita's topic for this project...
- Eugenics → Birth Control Movement
- Here are the two primary sources I have decided to use:
- Source #1 - The Case for Birth Control, Margaret Sanger (1917)
- Source #2 - "Physicians' Statements About Birth Control," Harpers Weekly (1915)
Part 1: Rhetorical Analyses
- Read your assigned section of the source. What is the author's main argument?
- Get into groups based on my instructions...
- As a group, answer the following questions on a sheet of paper:
- Who is the author/speaker? Who are they writing/speaking to?
- What are the main arguments provided by the author(s) in this source?
- How are the rhetorical appeals (ethos, pathos, logos) demonstrated in this source?
Part 2: Comparative Analysis
- How were the authors' approaches similar/different?
- What were the common themes (or issues) that were brought up by the authors?
- How can we characterize the divisions and conflicts within these discourse communities?
- How do the different voices react and build off each other?
Basically: What is thing that you can conclude about HOW people spoke/wrote about this topic during this time period based on these two sources?
Outline for your paper?