Explore Your Possible Topics
Freewrite about your potential topics
- List the three possible topics you are exploring, and then list the titles of the articles you found for each topic (you should have a minimum of 3 topics and 6 articles total)
- For each topic, what's something new you've already learned from skimming the articles? Be specific!
- For each topic, explain what you want to learn by researching this particular subject.
Talk about your potential topics
- Get into your writing group and introduce your potential topics to the group.
- Give each member some feedback on their choices, and how you think the topic will work for the specific assignments.
- Provide each group member new questions to use to find out more about their topic.
READ about your potential topics
- Let's review how to browse the Bell Library book stacks.
- Add call numbers for books to your daily writing for each topic.
- Get your essay turned in to my office by 2:30 pm! If you choose to upload to the wiki, you have until midnight, but it is your responsibility to make sure it works properly!
- Read Chapter 7 in EEA for Monday's class!
- Think about what topic you're interested in researching this semester.
- Go to the library and browse the stacks for each of your potential topics.
- If you see a book you find relevant and interesting, skim the table of contents and the preface or overview.
- Try to decide on one topic. You'll need to be committed to it by next Friday. Check out books you can use for the topic, once you've chosen it.
- Begin keeping some kind of a log of all the articles and books you think may be useful (you should already have located 2 articles from the databases, in addition to your books). Organize this in any way you want, electronically or in a hand written list or on note cards. You'll need to refer to your log to complete the Research Journal, and you'll find this helpful as you complete the subsequent projects in this class.
- Be prepared to discuss your topic choice on Monday! You'll be narrowing this down very soon, so don't under-prepare!