- Today we will give the floor to facilitators for presentations over the chapter. Today's presenters are:
- Section 527 - Lions & Tigers & Bears!
- Section 526 - #sucks2suck
- Everyone not presenting should turn in a Reading Response.
Freewrite and Applied Practice
- Now that we've discussed Ethos as a class, I'd like each of you to freewrite about how Ethos plays a role in Cisneros's story.
- Once this is complete, you'll work in your groups to find examples from Mericans.
- Each group should first identify a specific argument in the text.
- Then, making note of where the argument is specified, you'll identify how Ethos is used to support it.
- As a class, we'll discuss what you've found; taking notes from this will help you with your Rhetorical Analysis!
- If we have time, we can have a little fun with Ethos, as a class.
- Check out this corporate statement and think about the rhetorical situation surrounding it.
- Read Chapter 4 from EAA. Complete a Reading Response in which you respond to the following prompts.
If your group is facilitating the discussion of Chapter 4, you do not have to complete a Reading Response. Instead, prepare your facilitation.
- Write a definition of Logos in your own words.
- What are the four types of evidence described in Chapter 4? Define each in your own words, and provide an example (not from the chapter text).
- In your own words, define the three types of logical structures for argument discussed in the chapter.
- Browse this article for some scientific discoveries that logical appeals have been made from (eg. We should reduce carbon emissions; we should vaccinate; we should protect endangered species). Choose one of the examples and discuss why a logical appeal may or may not be effective.
- The following groups need to be prepared to present at the beginning of class on Wednesday:
- Section 527 - Nike
- Section 526 - Jumping Amazing Super Optimistic Noodle Squad
- Today's facilitators should print and fill out the Evaluation Form to turn in to me on Wednesday.