Part 1: What Is An Ethical Dilemma?
- Take some time to read through the article handout.
- Questions to Consider:
- What is the ethical dilemma here? (And how does it relate to Computer Science?)
- What are the arguments on each side?
- How do we decide what is the "right" thing to do in this situation?
Part 2: A Primer on Ethical Theories
- In small groups, you will be assigned one ethical theory. Take some time to read about and research the theory to see if you can understand its central tenets.
- Prepare a 1-2 minute "lesson" to teach your assigned ethical theory to the rest of us on a single slide that your classmates can use for future reference that includes:
- Names of famous philosophers connected to the ethical theory
- An explanation of the ethical theory, in your own words, including any special terms or phrases connected to the theory
- The strongest argument in favor of the theory
- The strongest argument against the theory
- An image of some sort that relates to the ethical theory
- Slide Link: Section 023
- Be prepared to "present" your ethical theory to the class!
Discussion: How would proponents of each your theories feel about students downloading textbooks instead of buying them?
Alternative Theories: Relativism (Subjective/Cultural), Ethical Egoism, Divine Command Theory