Submit the following on Blackboard:
- Chicano rap, an offshoot of hip-hop that attempts to empower Latinx people using similar styling and tropes, is sometimes criticized for borrowing language and appropriating cultural cues from its African-American counterparts.
- Read this and respond to the following:
- How does rap music create a space for other racial identities to empower themselves? Is hip-hop universal or does it represent something specific to African-American people (or both)?
- Read this and answer the following -
- How is sexuality complicated by the intersection of race in hip-hop music? Do perceptions of hip-hop artists rely on stereotypes of sexuality?