Wiki Challenge Day
Today we will be doing a little problem solving!
- In groups of three, you will work to accomplish goals that will help you understand how to design creative, multidimensional wiki pages for your portfolio projects.
- Use the editing and formatting tutorials to help figure out how to accomplish your tasks.
- Choose one group member's project (someone who has some of their research available to them might be a good choice) and work from their student page to begin a wiki project!
1. This group will need to work with images to:
- Embed an image on the page
- Make the image link to another page
- Place text around the image (not just under it) and add a caption to it
- Resize the image so that it fits appropriately (or interestingly) on the page
- Add text that appears when you hover the cursor over the image
2. This group will work with attachments to:
- Upload a document (.doc) file
- Create a link that has a file attached to it
- The target of the link should be an uploaded .pdf file (perhaps one of your sources)
- The text of the link should be an uploaded image (.jpg)
- Take a screenshot to use as the .jpg
3. This group will work with links to:
- Make five kinds of links
- One link should connect to a webpage that connects to your topic
- One link should link to another page on your wiki project, where you will add an indented paragraph
- One link should connect to another student wiki in your group
- One link (from the other page you created) should link back to the original page
- One link should be internal; it should link to another part of the same page
- All links should have a unique title, instead of the actual link name
- At least one of the links should open in a new window
4. This group will work with text and tables to:
- Create a block of text that has a background color
- Create a link within the block that has a different color
- Create a table with a single column title and at least 4 columns below that
- Use italics, underline, and strike-through within the text of the table
- Create a background image for the whole table
Bonus!: If you finish your tasks early, you get extra credit for doing this:
- Use a frame around some text
When you finish, we'll share your work with the class!
- Over the next few days, play this game!
- See how far you can get with only your knowledge of the story, but once you have experimented a bit, use this walkthrough to "guide" you through the game.
- Be sure to check out section 7: 'For Your Amusement' and try some of these commands!
- You are not required to submit a proposal to the FYRC; however, the deadline is today, so if you are interested in applying for it, you need to meet with me in the office between 1-2pm to collaborate on a proposal.
- FYRC presenters have the added incentive of automatically earning an A on the presentation portion of the final portfolio!