- Today, we'll be organizing the second half of your semester!
- Let's start by identifying who has a clear research focus, who wants to change theirs, and who is on the fence.
- Then, we'll start organizing you into teams from which to build your webpages for Portfolio 2!
- What kinds of proposals are there?
- What are the key ingredients in an academic proposal?
- What the heck is Toulmin? (Why do we need to know?)
- What are we proposing for?
- Look at the examples of proposal claims I've provided.
- Individually, brainstorm some potential panel claims on a sheet of paper. You've got 10 minutes.
- Get together in your webpage teams!
- Work with your team to communicate and establish your individual argumentative goals, based on your (potential) topics.
- Discuss how your goals demonstrate something about the theme you're organized around.
- Take notes to use when you determine (individually) whether or not to submit to the FYRC!!
- Next, return to your computers for some drafting.
- Individually, address each of the following questions that may allow you to explore your problem without having a clear thesis yet:
- Why does this issue deserve attention? What's at stake?
- To whom are you reaching out in your proposal? Why is this group appropriate? Can you identify individuals who can actually fix a problem?
- What major difficulties can you foresee for your proposal? How will you demonstrate that what you're proposing is necessary and feasible? How might your proposal be funded?
- What sources do you expect to consult in strategizing your proposal?
- We'll use these to Peer Review your Proposal work when we get back from the break.
- Proposals are due Wednesday, March 22nd, before midnight on Blackboard!
- Collaborate, if possible, with your webpage teams to conceptualize your Proposal Claim.
- Define your thesis using the Toulmin method (Claim, Reason, Warrant). We'll use these elements Tuesday to focus your Proposals.
- Remember that this Proposal would serve as the foundation of your FYRC application, if you choose to submit it!