- Discuss genre, audience, context, purpose.
- Use 1st day writing to analyze these concepts
- Work with partners to create discussion about why these things are important, but also why they are obscure to consumers of writing.
- Importance of understanding your audience is fundamental to successful communication (e.g. KS vid)
- Discuss writing process!
- Apply Lamott to writing expectations in college v. high school
- In what ways does Lamott's piece ask you to think differently about your writing?
- Freewrite: How does revision impact your world, personally or publicly?
Summarize and Synthesize: How did this piece go out and make something happen? What specific problems does it address?
- READ pp. 15-34 in your text, Naming What We Know. Come to class on Wednesday prepared to contribute thoughtfully to our discussion. You may want to jot some of your thoughts down on paper, or even as annotations in the margins of your text!