You are responsible for reviewing Two Drafts today! Reviewees have been chosen randomly!
Step One: Create comments (by replying to the post) in the freewrite thread that you are assigned to review, including at least the following:
- One or two sentences that explain what you think the overall message or point is. What do you think readers should be able to take away from reading this?
- At least one thing you like about the paper. What did the writer do especially well?
- At least one thing that you are unsure about, having trouble with, or that still needs work.
Step Two: Read through the draft again, then focus on these things to comment about:
- Is the writer communicating what he/she wanted to communicate?
- Does this feel like a genre you are familiar with? What would you call this genre?
- Are there things that seem to fit well with or not fit with the conventions of the intended genre?
- Are there any parts of the writing that seem unclear or confusing? Point out specific places in the text and explain your concerns.
- Where are the places when the writing is particularly good or effective? Note these too and explain why you like them or find them effective.
- Does the writing need more explanation, less explanation, or does the flow need to be reworked? Are there any parts that seem "out of place"?
- Do not point out spelling, grammar, or punctuation problems unless they interfere with your understanding of the text. This is a draft and revising and editing are two different things.