Preparing for the Big Issue
Today we are going to examine American Slavery through the arguments of two very different men: George Fitzhugh and Frederick Douglass
Document #1: "The Blessings of Slavery" from Cannibals All! (Fitzhugh, 1857)
- A Little Background
- The Document
- Dissecting His Argument
- In your groups, examine the quote that I've assigned to you and answer these questions on a sheet of paper:
- What is he talking about?
- What problem do you have with this statement?
- Why might someone agree with this?
Document #2: "Independence Day Speech" (Douglass, 1852)
- Would we be the country we are today without slavery in our past? (If not, would we be better? Worse?)
- Does slavery still exist?