Some things to try as you read...
- Try and understand the context- background of the story. Why are events unfolding like they are? Skim the text for the basic controversies, issues that led to the Ponca's removal. Make note of the things that contributed to their removal, etc.
- Make note of some of the significant characters that emerge in the reading. Who have we read about so far?
- As you read, consider what really is significant?
- After you read certain paragraphs, make small notes in the margins summarizing what you understood. You could also do this for each page.
- If you have trouble following the Ponca's removal- use the maps! They help provide a sense of place and movement.
- Skim again. Fine tune your notes.
- Like writing, being a discerning reader takes practice!