Welcome to First Year Seminar!
- Let me take a few minutes to introduce myself...
- Next let me answer any questions you have!
- Then, let's discuss the...
What is Triad E?
What is seminar, anyway?
Day One Icebreaker
- On a scratch piece of paper, write your name, then answer the following questions:
- Would you accept $10,000,000 to leave the country and never set foot in it again?
- If your friends and acquaintances were willing to bluntly and honestly tell you what they really thought of you, would you want them to?
- For $10,000,000 would you be willing to never again see or speak to your best friend?
- When you do something ridiculous, how much does it bother you to have other people notice it and laugh at you?
- If you were guaranteed honest responses to any three questions, who would you question and what would you ask?
- Now we'll organize you (yes, you have to get up and move) based on how you answered them!
- Once we're organized, I'll ask you to find a partner in your group and discuss which of the first three questions you answered yes to!
- You're going to share this with the class as a means of introducing your classmate, so pay attention (oh, and you might want to ask their name, too...)
- After we've met everyone, I'll use the other questions (if we have time) :D
- I'll collect these when we're all finished!
Homework! Say What?! As a way to further introduce yourself to me, I want you to design a full page "profile" of yourself. (Think about it like a Facebook or Twitter profile.)
What your profile needs to have: In a Word document, please address the following:
- Your name (or the name you preferred to be called) and seminar day / time.
- Must have a picture of you and only you.
- Should depict several things about you (favorite musician, sport/team, hobby, movie, subject, food, general interests, etc.).
- Explain your ideal career after graduation.
- Tell me if you work currently and, if so, how many hours usually per week.
- In other words, share with me a little about yourself.
Attach your profile to an email (to me) in the text of which you will do your first daily writing (MUST be done as a formal email, in paragraph format, with proper salutations, etc. - and please answer the questions! :)
- What has been your greatest accomplishment?
- Why have you decided to attend college?
- What three goals do you hope to meet by the end of the semester?
- Do you enjoy reading? What are your favorite things you've read?
- What can I as your seminar instructor do to make your semester productive and meaningful?
This will be due by next Thursday, January 28th before the beginning of Seminar and will count as your first Seminar participation grade.
Let's discuss any questions (especially about email etiquette). :D
- Intro and Chapter 1 of Slave Ship
- There will be a quiz over these chapters on the 28th!
- Student Profile email