Welcome to First Year Seminar!
Come on in, have a seat, and take a few minutes to fill out the Student Information sheet.
- Let me take a few minutes to introduce myself...
- Next let me answer any questions you have!
- Then, let's discuss the...
What is Triad K?
What is seminar, anyway?
Day One Icebreaker
- On a scratch piece of paper, write your name, then answer the following questions:
- Would you accept $10,000,000 to leave the country and never set foot in it again?
- If your friends and acquaintances were willing to bluntly and honestly tell you what they really thought of you, would you want them to?
- For $10,000,000 would you be willing to never again see or speak to your best friend?
- When you do something ridiculous, how much does it bother you to have other people notice it and laugh at you?
- If you were guaranteed honest responses to any three questions, who would you question and what would you ask?
- Now we'll organize you (yes, you have to get up and move) based on how you answered them!
- Once we're organized, I'll ask you to find a partner in your group and discuss which of the first three questions you answered yes to!
- You're going to share this with the class as a means of introducing your classmate, so pay attention (oh, and you might want to ask their name, too...)
- After we've met everyone, I'll use the other questions (if we have time) :D
- I'll collect these when we're all finished!
Homework! Say What?! As a way to further introduce yourself to me, I want you to design a full page "profile" of yourself. (Think about it as a Facebook profile.)
What your profile needs to have: On a sheet of 8.5x 11 paper, please address the following:
- Your name (or the name you preferred to be called) and seminar day / time.
- Must have a picture of you and only you.
- Should represent you (favorite sport, hobby, movie, subject, food, general interests, etc.).
- In other words, share with me a little about yourself.
On the back of your profile, you will need to do your first daily writing (can be done as question/answer, in paragraph format, or in letter format - please answer the questions! :)
- What has been your greatest accomplishment?
- Why have you decided to attend college?
- What three goals do you hope to meet by the end of the semester?
- What can I as your seminar instructor do to make your semester productive and meaningful?
This will be due next Tuesday, January 29th at the beginning of Seminar and will count as your first Seminar participation grade.
Email me (firstname.lastname@example.org) if you have any questions. :D
- Chapters 1-3 of Coming of Age in Mississippi (COA)
- There will be a quiz over these chapters on Thursday, Jan. 31st!