- Think about the main idea from NWWK 2.6: "Texts Get Their Meaning From Other Texts" (Refer back to your book if you need to!)
- Let's discuss!
The problems with news are things we can practice identifying in our research:
- Use LexisNexis to find a news story about the topic you found for your Research Writing.
- Compare your news article (popular source) with your google scholar article and record your findings in today's freewriting thread.
- Between now and Monday, you'll be working on a shitty first draft of a Comparative Analysis of the two. Look for it in Blackboard!
- Let's also check out Points of View, ProCon, and Satrakian's News Deeply.
- Using these, you can investigate the perspectives that are defined around an issue you've reserched. If your current topic isn't here, you can use a different topic for the sake of examining perspectives!
- Try to find varying perspectives, then discuss and record any differences you might have about the PoV topic in your freewrite thread.
- These are the kinds of things you should continue to do to on your own to demonstrate how your writing plays a role in your understanding of your research (and that you can include in your portfolio!).
- On Thursday, we'll be using the 3rd Threshold Concept (pp. 48-58).
- Be sure to have read this short section by our next class meeting.