I'm going to read you a poem! We'll discuss it a bit before moving on to the activity, which involves:
- Sentence Stems
- next Tuesday's journal
Portfolio 1 discussion
Lets discuss what you learned from the wikipedia entry on genre. We should be able to incorporate a discussion of the personal narrative into this! Use this list for reference!
- Make a list of current issues that you find interesting. Try to list as many as you can without stopping to think about it too hard. Just throw every idea you come up with onto the page.
- Take this list and narrow down the topics that you might be able to relate to an important issue from another generation.
- We'll use these lists to get started on your first portfolio draft!
- Email your top 5 topics to me @ email@example.com
- Read chapters 2&3 in the Islander Guide to Writing, as well as this short piece by Amy Tan called Mother Tongue
- Try to start your journal entry for the week, so that you don't have to write it all at the last minute. Even if you only get a couple sentences on the page, you will have an idea of what you can add to it over the weekend!